Friday, August 27, 2010

Tutorial: Pillowcase


Since starting on my little one's quilt, I had wanted to complete the gift by making other complimentary accessories such as pillowcases. My mum had just finished sewing a few pillowcases, so I got excited to make mine, or rather, his. I had some fabric leftover from making the backing of the quilt and decided to use them for this mini project.



Ingredients:
- Piece A (front): 1 piece of 28 1/2" x 18 1/2" fabric
- Piece B (back): 1 piece of 29 1/4" x 18 1/2" fabric
- Piece C (tab): 1 piece of 6 1/4" x 18 1/2" fabric
- coordinating thread

Note: Seam allowances are 1/4", unless otherwise stated.


Steps:
1) First, hem one short side of Piece B. This will be the opening of the pillowcase. You can hem any way you like, but I hemmed by folding in 1/2" twice and then sewing near the edge of the hem.

2) Then hem one short side of Piece C.

3) Now, take Piece A and Piece C, and with RIGHT sides together, align the open ends together (not the end with the hem). Sew the pieces together. Since I don't have a serger, I used zigzag stitches along the edges of the seam to keep the fabric from fraying. Now, fold the pieces along the seam so that the WRONG sides are together, and press. Keep the pieces in this position for sewing in the next step.

4) With RIGHT sides together (Piece A and Piece B), pin and sew along the 3 open edges. Make sure Piece A is between Piece B and Piece C when sewing this step. Again, I used zigzag stitches along the edges.

5) Finally, turn your pillowcase right side out, stuff it with a nice fluffy pillow and make your little one smile :)

1 comment:

yummm said...

Cute case! Mind making some cool ones for me? :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails